Monday, January 30, 2017

What's in an Entrepreneur?



You know how we sometimes ask ourselves, what's in a name?  Well, when I started my journey I remember watching a special on the History Channel about the Railroad Era and the entrepreneurs that started that expansive undertaking.  I was immediately drawn to those individuals, not because of the amount of wealth they acrued, but the positive risk they took by sharing ideas and finding a problem to fix. 
This is what I think about when I hear the word entrepreneur.  A person or group of people who actively find a problem and eventually solve that problem with a solution that truly changes the structure society lives upon.
According to a direct Google search the definition of Entrepreneur:
"a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so."
Let's think about this for a second and add it to our context of the railroad show from the History Channel.  In that respect, the definition fits perfectly.  However, I would add intellectual risks as well.  What do I mean by an intellectual risk?  This is a term I use to describe the mental processes we go through subconsciously when taking the financial and other risks entrepreneurs take in all aspects of their business.  I would go as far as saying the intellectual risk is more impactful and sometimes more stressful than the financial burden.
This is just one of the many factors that make up an entrepreneur, in my opinion.  It took me seven years to actually sit down and decide to write this blog because I want to show people what it really is like from a personal standpoint. 
In a greater sense, just as the individual entrepreneurs were building the railroads, they were also building their internal tracks as well.  Who knows, maybe that's where the idea came from? Something to think about. 
Let's hear you're thoughts on the matter; share with me if you agree or disagree and why. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment